Apartment Scams Berlin - Flat Scams Berlin
Expat Mgmt – Relocation Service Berlin – Your Life Hack for Berlin Bureaucracy – Berlin Expat Blog
Common Berlin Rental Market Scams
Expat Mgmt has enough experience on the Berlin housing market in order to have a good idea of what the common scams are in Berlin regarding housing.
- The landlord lives abroad, you will send the money, they will send the keys. – This is probably the most common scam. Although it might sound like a great option at the time, we can promise you that it will not end well.
- Landing pages which look like Airbnb or Wunderflats but take you through a different payment system. – We have seen this on several occasions but caught it very quickly. Be careful.
- If something looks to cheap and too nice. – Well then it is too cheap and too nice. If you see a beautiful new apartment, in the middle of the city center, for 500 euro, try reverse google imaging that apartment. It will likely be a hotel somewhere else in Germany or the world. Or have a closer look at the photos, you can often tell that the power outlets are for the wrong country! You have to keep an eye out!
- Use your tools aka The Internet
- Sometimes the owners are private owners and might not have the same business practices as a normal German property management company. That isn’t the end of the world but trying to google the person’s name at least to avoid any scam.
- You might want to google the property management company just to get an idea about what you’re getting yourself into. Mind you that people usually don’t leave great comments if they have something nice to say, it might be helpful just to get to know that the agency actually exists
Working with a Relocation Specialist like ExpatMgmt can make the difference, we know what to look out for and what to avoid. You can book a temporary flat booking or long-term flat search by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Viel Spaß, Viel Glück & Viel Erfolg.
Du packst das schon!!!
Your Expat Mgmt Team