Germany’s Skilled Immigration Act – 01.03.2020
Berlin Expat Blog – Expat Mgmt – Relocation Service Berlin – Your Life Hack for Berlin Bureaucracy
Expat Mgmt has been spending a lot of time over the last few weeks learning about the Skilled Immigration Act which comes into effect on 01.03.2020 (TODAY! – the date we are writing this post). In order to stay as informed as possible, we met with the immigration office, and attended events from the Chamber of Commerce and the International Organization for Migration. Below you can find some resources for learning about how the law might affect your residence permit application process in Berlin.
Changes to Immigration Office Process in Berlin
- Changes in the Immigration Law with the Fachkrafteinwanderungesetz (01.03.20) = Change in the structure of the immigration office Berlin.
- Everyone who defined as “Fachkraft” by the Skilled Immigration Act will now be serviced at Keplerstr. – Not only Blue Card.
- Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Fachkräfte mit Berufsausbildung/ residence permit for the purpose of employment as listed in this L I N K., will now be serviced at the LEA Keplerstr. address.
- Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Fachkräfte mit akademischer Ausbildung see this L I N K will now be serviced at the LEA Keplerstr. address. (no English translation is yet available).
- Of course, if you already have already secured appointment at another location, this appointment will be processed as booked.
- If you are working with the Business Immigration Service your case will be serviced at the BIS
- Fun Fact: The immigration office will employ over 70 new employees in the next years!!! YAY!
The Skilled Immigration Act
Many stakeholders are very skeptical of the new the changes, because they aren’t what some had hoped for. There are positive changes, but it still isn’t as easy as expected to hired skilled workers. You can find out more by checking out the links below:
https://fachkraefteeinwanderungsgesetz.de/ Warning the English translation isn’t the greatest.
KCRW Studio Berlin – The Skilled Immigration Act -A 25 minute informative interview about the Skilled Immigration Act.